Where did I go wrong?

I am a big fan of surgeons. I actually dreamt once of being a surgeon. The job which is primarily dependent upon your expertise and the responsibility is somewhat overwhelming. You deal with saving lives and losing, as well. I had often thought about how devastating it would feel to watch a person die on your table, on your watch, and then pronounce: “ Time of death: 2 o’ clock.” Ouch… It sure will be devastating. My world might fall apart or worst, fall on me.



This is why sometimes, I stop dreaming on becoming a surgeon. I couldn’t seem to handle something as precious and fragile as life. I couldn’t seem to bear the GREAT responsibility of people depending on me, loved ones begging me to save a dying person, and the thought that I may be operating on my own loved ones, too.



Behind the prestige and pride bearing the title, is a heart that may be grieving every no and then. From the most complex to the simplest procedures still lie a big responsibility that requires real perseverance, hardwork and a lot more. But if I am about to dream big and handle big tasks, I’d have to start with baby steps. They say you can achieve anything and you can make it happen if you just go for it.



Here I am in the medical field. Proud as I am, I have only just begun. I know one day, my path will take me there into the field of bigger responsibilities, and greater obligations. Now I am enjoying my field as a medical technologist. In my fourth level, I should admit that things are getting more and more challenging each day. I’ve come this far and I’m never going to let any opportunity slip off my hands. With God guiding me, and a strong motivation, I shall pursue my goal in life. They say even the little things count as big and important when it comes to medicine. As the body isn’t whole lacking one part, it will mean a lot even that one part is the smallest part. I’m talking not about the littlest part anyway. I pertain to a gland that is located in the lower part of the neck.



We’ve discussed the gland on my previous blog. Now let’s dig deeper, going to the more essential things we need to know about thyroid. As a medical technologist, we should be very particular with this part. Do not hate this part right here like what the pussy cat dolls said instead, love this part as much as I would love to share it with you guys.



Let us start on the field, our field actually. Let us travel into the favorite place of med techs, which is the laboratory. What is thyroid testing? How do we evaluate the state of our thyroid? Interesting, huh? Surely we could not imagine testing thyroid using stool or urine, right? Seriously speaking… where? Through a blood test. Yes, blood.



You can start to imagine the process of the venipuncture again and again. You are right. After such, let us get to know TSH. They say it is the most useful test in assessing the thyroid functions. This test can screen hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism and even euthyroidism.



High levels of TSH detect hypothyroidism which is a disease leading to low thyroid hormone production. Second generation TSH immunometric assays, with detection limits of 0.1 mU/ L, effectively screens for hyperthyroidism, while third generation TSH chemiluminetric asssays, with detection limits of 0. 01, are less likely to give false- negative results and can help us accurately distinguish between a patient with hyperthyroidism and euthyroidism. TSH assays are routinely used to monitor and adjust the thyroid hormone replacement therapy as well.



Serum T4 and T3. What are they? Their levels are usually measured by means of radioimmunoassay (RIA), chemiluminometric assay or similar immunometric technique. Since more than 99. 9 % of thyroid hormone is protein bound, alterations in thyroid hormone- binding proteins, unrelated to thyroid disease, frequently lead to total T3 and T4 levels outside of normal range.



Thyroglobulin, on one hand, is currently measured by double- antibody radioimmunoassay (RIA), enzyme- linked immunoassay (ELISA), immunoradiometric assay (IRMA) and immunochemiluminescent assay (ICMA) methods.



There are other tools for evaluation but the ones we’ve talked about here are the most significant. It is always important to be familiar with the diagnostic tests which is the only real basis on finding out what seems to be the problem with the patient’s health. The tests we do inside the laboratory in the process of saving lives. Accuracy is therefore very necessary. “,)

Here are some suggested videos about the tests done:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i love this post..actually i had a longer comment for this but it only was trapped in some network connection problem..so i have to comment here.. i could not let the opportunity pass me by... this had a very nice start when you told us about your dream of becoming a surgeon.. it is one prestigious job i must say but along it comes also greater responsibilities.. and never let these great things overwhelm you and stop you from dreaming.. these things only serve as challenges because if others were able to do that, you can also... and the part where you made us travel to the laboratory... i appreciated it.. so now you medical technologists prove that you really have a big function in helping cure the patients.. without you guys, we would never find out how to ever save a life :)

Unknown said...

I have never imagined thyroid testing through the urine of course.. and never stool :) hahaha i had an experience once that i thought pregnancy hormones are only tested through urine.. and now i knew that blood tests confirm better :) hahaha :) nice to know post.. thanks PAUL

Post a Comment